If I owned or controlled a news paper of television news network, there are several things I would do differently from the mainstream media. Call me a whiney liberal, if you must, but my news outlets would be sympathetic to ethnic minorities and systematically biased against fascists and religious fundamentalists.
I know that Pajamas Media already follow these guidelines pretty well. They were founded by people who pretty much share my sentiments.
1. My news outlets would refer to people who commit acts of terrorism as "terrorists" and never as merely "militants" or "youths".
2. My news outlets would refer to terrorists as "terrorists" even when the victims are Jews. The word "resistance" to describe criminals who murder Jews will be shunned. I wouldn't allow such open anti-Semitism in my company. No special words for "special" races will be the motto.
3. My news outlets would focus on wars and disasters according to relative size. A big war like the civil war in Algeria will be mentioned every day. Small wars like the one Arab terrorists pursue against Israel will be mentioned only every few weeks, if at all.
4. My news outlets would even mention wars in which the victims are Africans.
5. If one of my reporters brought me pictures of terrorists shooting missiles at civilian targets, he wouldn't be rewarded, he would be fired, sued for unprofessional behaviour in violation of his work contract with my news outlet, and handed over to the police for failing to call the authorities while observing a crime being committed. My reporters would not be above the law.
6. My news outlets would report discrimination on religious grounds even if the victims are Christians and specially if it happens in Saudi-Arabia.
7. My news outlets would consistently refer to Israel as the "Guardian of the Holy City of Jerusalem" and to Saudi-Arabia as the "religious apartheid kingdom". Similarly my news outlets will mention, whenever the focus is on Saudi-Arabia, that Saudi-Arabia came to control Mecca and Medina by invading and finally annexing the Hashemite Kingdom of Hejaz in 1926. ("Saudi-Arabia bla bla bla. Saudi-Arabia controls the cities of Mecca and Medina since invading and annexing the Hashemite Kingdom of Hejaz in 1926.")
8. My news outlets would only show pictures of President Obama that look at least as funny as the pictures the mainstream media always showen of President George Bush.
9. My news outlets would never call it an "aggression" or an "attack" if the war has already been ongoing for a few years and finally the attacked side responded. Also, wars would never "start" when the attacked side shoots back but always when the attacking side started shooting. This will apply even when Israel responds to attacks.
10. My news outlets would apply a strict system of not allowing time travel in news reporting. Event Y happing aftter and caused by event X would never be declared the cause for cause X, because doing so would be dishonest and a violation of the ethics of journalism as practices by my news outlets.
11. Statements made by people interviewed would only be repeated as statements made by people interviewed, not as facts, not even in the headline.
12. Open lies would simply not be accepted, even if propagated by all other media outlets. My media outlets would simply not be allowed to claim, for example, that a dictator of Iraq who funded terrorist attacks against Israel and allowed Al-Qaeda to run a camp in his country had "no connection to terrorism".
13. Terrorism and other uncivilised habits would never be explained as Islamic culture. Instead my news outlets would interview (real) moderate Islamic scholars who openly speak up against terrorism even when the victims are Jewish.
14. My news outlets would also repeat the news of ten years ago marked as "historic news". This is to make sure that my media outlets would not fall into the habit of contradicting their own reports when the political winds change.
15. My news outlets would be instructed to accept either all annexations that happened in a war XOR all annexations that happened in defensive wars XOR no annexations that happened in a war. But my news outlets would not accept or reject annexations based on race or ideology or politics.
16. My media outlets would not add opinion to election results. If party X wins and party Y loses, it would be reported news party X winning and party Y losing, not as a "protest vote", a "development", or a "momentary setback".
17. My news outlets would probably not report the ethnicity, nationality, or religion of the perpetrator of a crime unless the perpetrator himself made it clear in his crime that he wants his ethnicity, nationality, or religion to be associated with the crime.
18. My news outlets would always make it clear which political party a politician belongs to when reporting negative or positive news about him or her.
19. My news outlets would not apply to any country except the Vatican a religious attribute ("Islamic Republic") and always call a dictatorship a "dictatorship" and a dictator a "dictator".
This is all I can think of at the moment.
It would be revolutionary!